[Tagging] tagging capitals

john at jfeldredge.com john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Jan 21 14:59:39 GMT 2011

I was a little surprised by this, until I looked up the definition of capital given in Wikipedia (primary city, as opposed to seat of government).  In American usage, the capital of a nation or sub-national region is its seat of government, whether or not that is the primary city in terms of population.  For example, Nashville is termed the capital of Tennessee, because it is the seat of the state government, even though Memphis, Tennessee is larger, and has been larger for most of Tennessee's history.