[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - natural=bare_rock

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:30:38 GMT 2011

2011/1/28 Johan Jönsson <johan.j at goteborg.cc>:
> My opinion is that natural=bare_rock should be used for solid rock and not for
> fields of stone/stony ground. The visible bedrock, even if it could be
> splintered and jagged.

Okay, so this natural=bare_rock RFC should be used where there is one
very large stone/rock surface in the ground, even when jagged, and not
for loose rocks.

I support this proposal then.

> The first proposal intended to span all kinds of stone surfaces, I changed that.
> I took a look at [[IOFmapping#Rock_and_boulders]] and got convinced to separate
> the solid bare_rock.
> In the discussion it was argued that natural=scree could be used for rough stony
> grounds, that maybe not the case as scree have a limited definition meaning a
> certain mountain slope filled with rubble, [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scree
> Scree on wikipedia]].
> There is a definition on
> [http://etc-lusi.eionet.europa.eu/CLC2000/classes/Pictures?CLCcategory=3/3.3/3.3.2&CLCtitle=Bare%20rocks
> "European Topic Centre on Land Use and Spatial Information"] that is like the
> first proposal, encompassing all kinds of areas with visible rock.
> /Johan Jönsson

I also think it makes sense to separate the solid bare_rock.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Stephen Hope <slhope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 January 2011 07:43,  <john at jfeldredge.com> wrote:
>> Scree, however, usually refers to a sloping pile of loose rock at the base of a cliff, rather than being a general term for loose rocks.
> It's a little bit more general than that - a sloping hillside covered
> with loose rock is also scree.  But loose rock on flat ground never
> is.  I used to climb up scree slopes a lot when I was a kid.

Sorry for diverting the thread if this is getting too off topic, feel
free to reply using a different subject-- I saw scree on the wiki,
your explanation helps. The kind of rocks I'm thinking about are on
the coastline, not on a slope, and are not really at the base of a
cliff. They are mostly stable rocks, but usually enough to walk on if
you are careful, but can move. What tag should I use for this? I think
it is different to scree. Thanks.

More information about the Tagging mailing list