[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - natural=bare_rock

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 12:11:53 GMT 2011

2011/1/30 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> None of which is an issue, you can sort and display the information
> however you like,

all of them are issues. To recall: My statement was, that a polygon
tagged with "surface=xy" should have this surface. If there are parts
inside this polygon, that don't have this surface, they should be
excluded (multipolygon).

This is different to e.g. "landuse", where we map the "predominant"
landuse (i.e. there can be small areas within with different landuse).
This behaviour should IMHO not apply to surface.

If there are different polygons tagged with different surface values
that cover the same area, you will have to interpret a non-clear
situation, that's why we should try to avoid these situations. In case
of the beach you could tag the beach-way as natural=beach, name=xy
then create a multipolygon, insert the non-sand surfaces as inners and
tag the relation with surface=sand. In my reading you wouldn't have to
exclude them with landcover (or say beach:type) sand, as these are
less explicit then surface (they implicitly take a more generalized
view).

cheers,
Martin