[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - natural=bare_rock

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Mon Jan 31 05:06:34 GMT 2011

Johan Jönsson <johan.j at ...> writes:

> A summary so far.
>
> There seem to be a need for a tag for areas of solid rock, bedrock,
> with visible rock surface. bare_rock could be used.
>
> It is then obvious that there also is a need for areas covered by loose rocks.
> The naming of the popular natural=scree suggest a particulate definition of
> a slope with rubble of different sizes. More distinct tags needed or a general
> tag.
>
> There have been a vivid discussion, one idea is to use natural=* for special
> named features, like scree, but use a land_cover=* for general tagging of the
> nature of an area.

I have some concerns on my proposal.
I am taking the proposal back to status=draft if that is OK.

It should be better off as a landcover=bare_rock instead,
but that key is not really accepted.

If used with the natural-key then
it should at least be possible to use the same way as natural=wetland
with subtags of wetland=..
natural=rockland :-)
I started a new thread on that.

Another concern is that the tag is only supposed to be used for solid rock,
I am not sure how people are supposed to know that.
And what to use for loose rock.

/Johan Jönsson