[Tagging] Prevoting: New_barrier_types

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Jul 1 02:13:59 BST 2011

On 6/30/11 9:06 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> This may be a factor of how low off the ground the bottom row of cables are located.  Here in Tennessee, solid guardrails are mostly used.  Cable barriers, when used, tend to have the bottom cable about the same distance off of the ground as the bottom of a solid guardrail, and the topmost cable about the same height as the top of a solid guardrail.  So, only a wedge-nosed sports car would be likely to go under the cables.  Admittedly, since most of the car/guardrail crashes that I have seen involved the solid guardrails, I am working from a small data set.

in the past, a great many of the commonly installed barrier types have
not been particularly effective, sometimes even dangerous.

my experience is from road racing courses, where over the past 5-10
years we have seen significant changes in guardrail installations and
in how tire barriers are deployed. i'd expect public highways to lag way
behind, there's a huge amount of legacy and a bad funding situation for
town & county highway departments.

richard