[Tagging] Prevoting: New_barrier_types

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 02:08:47 BST 2011

On 4 July 2011 21:06, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> do you have a tagging suggesting? maybe barrier=road_stud ? What would
> you call continuous ones like the one I  posted from street view?

The generic term for all of them is lane divider. But that's also used
for cat's eyes, pavement markers (the little bumps) etc, so you're
right, probably not a good choice. If we want to break them up more,
I'd use either flexible_bollard/flexible_post, perhaps. I've also seen
them called delineator posts for the more solid ones, like in the link
of my original post. I'd be happy with any of those.  The problem I
see with road stud is the term is often used for Botts' dots and
pavement markers, so probably preferable not to use that one if we are
trying to represent only the raised, post/flap like devices which are
intended to discourage lane changing.

I can't think off hand what I'd call the one you showed.  My first
instinct would be rumble strip, but I'm not sure that's actually what
it is. Maybe bump strip? Technically it's a form of lane chanelliser,
but again that covers everything from painted areas through strips
like this that you can cross up to raised kerbs and platforms with
barriers, so too generic a term.

Stephen