[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Stamping_point

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Jul 15 10:29:02 BST 2011

On 15/07/11 09:44, Zsolt Bertalan wrote:
> Now we have a problem. Just after I started the voting, several issues
> came up on both the hungarian OSM list and on the discussion page of
> the proposal. The most severe one is that the key/value is ambiguous.
> People could use it for ticket punching machine for public transport,
> etc.,  which is not intended. Also I realised that stamps are not the
> only checking methods. It occured me that I know about a tourism
> movement in Hungary where the validation is through markings, so one
> have to write down the simple pattern of the markings in your
> brochure. Also there are newly introduced electronic checkpoints (see
> Discussion Page).
>
> So key/value should be tourism=hiking_checkpoint instead of
> stamping_point. A new key should be introduced for the checkpoint type
> (checkpoint_type=stamp; marking; electronic, any other I can't imagine).
>
> Also the name tag is ambiguous. It's not clear if it's the name of the
> place where it is located or the name of the tourism movement or both.
> So I should emphasize that the name tag is for the name of the place
> (name of the pub, church or the name of the mountain) and I should
> introduce a new key, tourism_movement (e.g. Countrywide Blue Tour; El
> Camino de Santiago, trail-blaze.com <http://trail-blaze.com>).
>
> What is the right process now? Can I stop the voting process and move
> the proposal to the abandoned ones or should I wait until it ends? Can
> I change my vote to no and start a new proposal from scratch right
> now? I assume I can't rename it and change the properties I mentioned
> above.
There is no real process. The idea of proposing tags so they get voted
on is really broken. Tags can (and should) be used without a voting
process. Documenting ideas and tags that get uses is a great idea.
Discussing how tags might be used is also useful, but the idea that
there is a formal process to get a tag approved is wrong.

You can use any tag on any object for any purpose, but if you want that
tag to be used by other mappers and by data consumers like renderers it
is helpful to document it and discuss it. The voting "process" plays
little part in getting tags accepted.

So change your wiki page if you want to, launch a new voting cycle if
you want to, but better still use the tags as a trial on a few places
and document the way you used it so others who are interested can follow
you.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly