[Tagging] highway=unclassified

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:16:51 BST 2011

2011/7/27 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> 2011/7/27 Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com>:
> > IMHO, it's a sentence that is both unclear and wrong. "Interconnecting
> grid
> > network" has no significance: if it wasn't interconnecting it wouldn't be
> > network, and a grid network is just a specific case of a network but the
> > unclassified applies to any kind of network.
>

> I can't follow you here, maybe it's a language problem? "Grid network"
> is not used to distinguish different network types, there is only one
> "grid road network"=all the connection roads in the world. To me that
> sentence makes perfectly sense. If I had to explain in other words
> what it means I'd say: unclassified are the lowest kind of "connection
> roads" in the road network.

Maybe I'm being picky. What I mean is: we have a worldwide graph of roads,
or a "network" if we want to call it that. A grid network, to me, sounds
like an orthogonal grid, like the one you'd find in Torino or New York. Of
course, the roads are interconnecting, otherwise it wouldn't be a network.

Residential roads connect, too: they form a graph whose edges may be less
important than the other bigger ways, but they're still part of the graph,
just like tracks and footways.

Again, maybe I'm just being picky, but if we can come up with a definition
that is clear and not an apparent collection of words, all the better.

> > Also, highway=unclassified is
> > not the lowest degree: there's highway=residential in any kind of urban
> > centre, and highway=track in the country.
>

> that's what the above sentence implies: residentials and tracks are
> not part of the "interconnecting grid network".

As stated above, I disagree. They may only be connecting my block to the
local grocery store, but they still connect. One may object that an
unclassified road "does not connect" because it doesn't link two neighbour
cities. "Interconnecting" is vague and ambiguous.

> cheers,
> Martin

Ciao,

Simone