[Tagging] highway=unclassified

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 29 14:17:44 BST 2011

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/29/2011 7:21 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I think the underlying problem is that there's a big gap between
>> tertiary, which should be a road that really is used to go somewhere and
>> residential, which more or less means a road that you wouldn't care
>> about unless you destination is on or very near it.
>>
>> Here's an example:
>>
>>    http://osm.org/go/ZfI4NgRo-
>>
>> There are way too many roads marked secondary (most of those are not
>> state highways, or as important as state highways), yet the secondaries
>> are more important than the tertiaries, and the tertiaries are more
>> important than the residentials.
>
> That looks fine, except for the lack of primaries. You can see how
> I've handled Orlando (obviously there will be differences in older
> cities like Boston-Cambridge):

I don't follow - the only US highway visible is primary, and then a vast
number of roads are tagged as secondary.  None of the secondary roads
are so high traffic or important to merit being called primaries.

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.5419&lon=-81.3793&zoom=14&layers=M

I'm guessing the primaries that aren't us highways have comparable
importance, and there aren't that many of them, so that seems fine.
(The area I pointed out is a boring residential town that no one would
drive through if they were going more than a few towns.)