[Tagging] tagging monasteries, convents and

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:31:09 BST 2011

Le 01/06/2011 08:31, Andre Engels a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:00 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> looking at the available data and in the wiki I'm currently missing
>> some tags for monasteries.
>>
>> All I found is this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmonastery
>>
>> which suggests to tag former monasteries as historic=monastery and the
>> monastery building as monastery=yes. If I see this right there is
>> currently no tag for a monastery as an institution/place, nor for some
>> of it's parts (the church will be tagged like any other church I
>> think, the garden could also be tagged with leisure=garden and maybe a
>> garden type, but the dorms and other specific places could merit some
>> dedicated tags).
>>
>> I would like to distinguish between (and maybe more, let's see what
>> you can contribute).
>> monastery
>> convent
>> canonry
>> sanctuary
>> abbey
>> friary
>>
>> (some might be attributes or subtags)
>>
>> For the comunity that operates the place I will make a list in the
>> wiki so we can propose a set of typical values in unified form.
>> We could use the keys "operator" and "operator_congregation" (e.g.
>> "Canons Regular of the Immaculate Conception") for these.
>>
>> This would be tagged on a surrounding area (or multipolygon relation
>> or site relation). Any comments? Wikipages I missed? Tags in use?
> My proposal would be, but note that it's only a proposal and hasn't
> been implemented yet, to add "landuse=religious" for these.

They are different things to be tagged :
* the building, that can be tagged in building=monastery ou
building=convent [1]. Those values are not very used...
* the community living there and I have started trying the tag community
[2].
* the other building that should be tagged as other (farm, workshops,
hostelery...)

IMHO,
The church must be tagged as amenity=place_of_worship +
religion=christian|buhddist... when open to every one (at least to belivers)
I usualy use also the tag building=church for the architecture.

The other building should not be tagged as amenity=place_of_worship, for
it is not open to every body, but the religion+denomination tags could
be used with the tag community for the community buildings.

The other buildings should be tagged for what they are : hangar,
hostellery, shop...

I'm not too much in favour of a landuse=religious, because the landuse,
in itself is not a holy place or a sacred place, and it can be farm,
garden...
I would prefer a relation=site + site=monastery for gathering all the
stuff and defining the whole monastery. This relation could have a tag
access=private to indicate the closure. Usualy, there is a wall, or a
hedge around the closure.

I don't know enough buhddist or other religious communities to improve
the consistancy of a tag "community". It is why I still not have made a
proposal.

I'm interested in knowing your opinion about this way of tagging.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Building
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/tags/building=monastery
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/tags/building=convent

[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:FrViPofm/Community