[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Club

Alessio Zanol nardei at infinito.it
Tue Jun 7 08:52:02 BST 2011

In data lunedì 6 giugno 2011 15:13:42, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer ha scritto:
> Maybe there is an
> issue with the wording. Club seems to have a lot of meanings in
> English:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_(disambiguation)
>
> with the (IMHO) most important one beeing "nightclub" (apparently not
> what you are after).
>
> What about using "association", and have subtags for the
> organisational form and targets (e.g. voluntary, paid membership,
> whatever).

My english knowledge isn't very advanced but I think using club=* as a Key
isn't a big problem about misunderstanding.
What kind of problems could rise? club=night ? ok, possible, but as many other
tags if the user doesn't look at documentation.
But association isn't bad, I'll consider it even if I think that club is more
straightforward. I care about the possibility of mapping this great family of
POIs whatever tag we will choose :)
I also tought about subtags by myself while writing the proposal. It's a
matter of tagging philosophy and I still haven't a clear opinion.
So I approve but you could help me to thinking about them. How should be the
tags?

> As a side note: in Germany there are now some "smoker's clubs" (which
> before where pubs or restaurants or similar) as a result of a law that
> prohibits smoking in public venues, maybe you could add those?

Sure! It's in! :) Obviously I have no idea about all the kind of clubs
existing in the world and the Key nature of this proposal always permit to add
new and specific Vaules.

> Another side note: you propose club=chess, but that might also be
> club=sport, sport=chess (really ;-) )

Eheh, in my opinion it's a game, beautiful, but it's a game. But eventually I
haven't problems to change. I don't care very much about this "fine tuning".
Let's decide a standard and for me it's ok. Using club=sport + sport=chess or
club=chess doesn't change very much to me :)
I still have a smilar doubt about hiking. Is it a sport? I think that is more
an outdoor activity since there aren't real rules, races, winners. That's
skyrunning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrunning

> A last side note: someone mentioned recently on the German ML that
> sport=xy should not be used to describe any kinds of sports but only
> places where you actually can exercise this sport. Personally I don't
> agree that this is a good definition, but it is what the wiki
> currently states as well:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sport

I really don't understand this definition. So what should we do? create a new
Key? sport_whatsoever=* Or create a new tag for each sport? club=soccer,
club=tennis, club=rugby ...? A waste of tags..

Alessio