[Tagging] fire alarms

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:36:36 BST 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>I wonder why many people try to force the approval of a tag by fast
>votes on the wiki. A tag gets approved by uses in the data and software
>handling it.

I find it remarkable that after however many years of OSM's existence,
statements like this are, sadly enough, kind of true. If the highest
level of evolution of a software ecosystem is standards governed by a
managed change process, then what we have here is the lowest: no
standards, no organised processes, and the only definition of what
tags are accepted is whatever random pieces of software happen to
arbitrarily support them, in whatever way they judge fit. And, based
on my analysis[1], the end result is pretty messy indeed.

The situation described in this statement is not an aspirational goal.
It's the current quagmire that we all face, and should be trying to
find a way out of.

Steve

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/tagsupport