[Tagging] Pet supplies store but doesn't sell animals

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Jun 12 05:37:05 BST 2011

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:04:34 Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> The logical conclusion is:

<snip>

How about shop=pet and shop=pet_supplies?

I am not actually sure that it is necessary to tag things in such detail.  I
think it is sufficient in OSM to indicate that something exists.  Showing the
existence of something means it becomes possible to find out more information
about the thing, but it is not necessary to include all of this additional
information in OSM itself.  For example, if we include a phone number then
someone seeking more information can call the store.  If we include a URL
then someone can go to the store's website (which can be vastly more detailed
than tags in OSM).

Anyway, here's a joke to brighten your day.

So, this man goes into a pet shop.  He says to the owner "I'd like to buy a
wasp please".  The owner says "I'm sorry, Sir, we don't sell wasps".  "Oh,"
says the man, "but you have one in the window".

animals:wasps=no  :)

Andrew