[Tagging] Pet supplies store but doesn't sell animals

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Jun 13 18:31:33 BST 2011

On 12/06/2011 05:04, Serge Wroclawski wrote:

(cut/paste from Serge's posts)

Wow! I wasn't expecting anyone to get their knickers in twist over my Q.

"You, Dr. Who, are proposing changing shop=pets to now:
shop=pets
animals:fish=yes"

No, that's not changing, that's adding, which makes OSM more accurate.
If mappers are put off (& I don't think they are) then more effort needs
to be put in to explaining that detailed tagging isn't essential rather
than excluding useful data from OSM.

"3. It's nested"

No it's not, it's stacked or layered. Nested means you'd have to go
through one tag to get the data of another; this is not the case.

Map makers can take just shop=pet or just
'animals:reptiles=gecko;snakes' if they wanted to. (I realize that's not
the best real world example).

"Is there some minor ambiguity between a pet store that sells animals
and one that doesn't? Sure, but it's a minor."

I would say that a pet shop that doesn't sell pets is pretty major in the world of pet shops.

"That's simple, easy, elegant, and solves the problem.
if you wanted to have an animals=yes tag, I'd/almost/  be okay with that."

Err... Isn't that equivalent to what I suggested originally?

Anyway, shop=pet_supplies makes it more complicated - to get all pet stores you'd have to filter for two tags in stead of one.