[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Kerb

Robert Naylor robert at pobice.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 20:06:35 BST 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:22:55 +0100, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One problem I see with these kinds of proposals is that they map very
>> well to a particular jurisdiction or standard, but will be very hard
>> to apply elsewhere. Perhaps the distinction of <3cm, =3cm, >3cm is
>> very common somewhere - but what would you do in an area where the
>> standard distinction is 2.5cm? Or 4cm? Go and measure every kerb?
>>
>> So maybe it's better to divide it into two halves: in one part, talk
>> about the functional aspects (flat, flush, can roll over etc). In
>> another part, map those functional distinctions onto physical ranges
>> on a regional basis ("in the eastern states of the US, flush means
>> ...").
>>
>> Alternatively, just leave the heights as indicative - but make it
>> clear we map on a functional basis.
>>
>> Also is your table missing a way to tag kerbs between 3cm and 16cm?
>> (And lastly, you have 0.03cm instead of 0.03m in one place)
>>

> I think we're definitely going for functional. The original author used
> those height ranges, and I'm not sure if there's any value to mention
> something specific like 16cm, so I changed it to ~0cm for flush, ~3cm for
> lowered, and >3cm for raised. I've edited the proposal to that effect.

I'm the original author.  I was going to bring it up in tagging but I got
behind in mapping collected data, and have been working more recently.

I originally started with functional values, but as a compromise to a few
people suggesting that we should use just a measurement I added a approx
height range for each value.

I think we need to re-add a kerb=normal in to replace the original
kerb=yes.  It possibly could be useful to mark if a traffic island is
raised or not, or if a kerb separates say a cycle lane from a road.  It
ranges is possible anything above 0.03m to 0.16

Also raised needs to be changed back to ~>0.16m as it was intend to
indicate raised kerbs for bus stops etc.