[Tagging] Prevoting: New_barrier_types

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Thu Jun 30 22:50:32 BST 2011

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 10:37 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > Folk, I rediscovered an old proposal which is extending the set of
> > barrier values.
> >
> > Please comment now on this, before we can eventually vote to get
> this
> > to a more definite status:
> >

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/New_barrier_types
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Martin
>
> The rope barrier pictured is actually a crash fence commonly used as a
> cost saving measure on motorway medians in the US.  They're not
> particularly effective against anything other than SUVs; cars tend to
> go
> under them and hgvs tend to go through them making them more or less
> worse than nothing.

The "rope" barriers along motorways in the USA tend to be considerably sturdier than the wood-post-and-single-rope type shown in the wiki photograph.  The rope barrier shown in the photograph is the sort that might be used along a park roadway, to discourage people from parking on the shoulder of the roadway.  The motorway type tend to have steel I-beam posts, about one meter high, with multiple steel cables, and are fairly effective at stopping automobiles.  SUVs and heavy goods vehicles tend to topple over the barriers, due to their high center of gravity.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com