[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Key:designation)

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Mar 1 20:19:33 GMT 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:51:22 -0800 (PST)
Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Markus Lindholm wrote:
> > If this tag designation is about formal status in the UK
>
> It isn't. It's about formal status, full stop. You could just as
> easily use it to record that a European waterway is UNECE Class Vb.
>
> Richard

Well 'designation' isn't a good word for showing the formal status of
something. I agree that it is a correct word, but it is a poor choice in
a multilingual project.
There are competing keys with similar meanings, which are distinct and
also overlap.
There is a key referring to 'what is on a sign' and a key referring to
'what is in the statute book', both of them based on designat*. I find
them quite confusing, despite a very large number of years of using
English, and for those with English as an additional language to their
native one, it will be even more difficult.