[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Key:designation)

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 23:01:25 GMT 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Tordanik wrote:
>> I'm still not quite sure whether I understand what designation=*
>> is supposed to do.
>
> It's to record the legal status, or designation, of a given object - whether
> that object be a footpath, a waterway, or whatever.
>
> Having now looked at the wiki voting page I'm afraid the description given
> there is spectacularly bad. :( I'll rewrite it tomorrow morning (UK time).

During the RFC, the only comments concerned it's use for recording
path types in England and Wales. No great desire was expressed for
it's use for other purposes, so I left it as largely for the E&W
purpose, but with the proviso that others could start using it for
other purposes if it met a locally-agreed need (or I guess if you just
feel like it).

Nop added the German values, though they haven't been taken up by the
German community (which makes his negative vote a bit cheeky, really,
but such is life). My preliminary conclusion is that the suggested
German values will simply be dropped, post-vote.

I reckon the voting is running at about 24000 & a handful for, and a
handful against. Comments alongside the votes are more useful than the
votes, really.

The wiki/RFC/voting process is good for flushing out issues: it's
better than just sitting in ignorance of what others think.

Richard