[Tagging] landuse:illegal and illegal:yes/no

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Wed Mar 9 20:03:53 GMT 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:11:52 +0100
Peter Gervai <grin at grin.hu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 13:52, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM, grin <grin at grin.hu> wrote:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/illegal
>
> > 1) "illegal" is not really a category of things. It's an attribute,
>
> Yes it is. If proposing an attribute should have a different form,
> please advise.
>
> > and its meaning varies - here it seems to primarily convey a sense
> > of "informal". For example, in most places, dumping rubbish
> > *anywhere* is "illegal". An "illegal rubbish dump" is really just
> > an informal rubbish dump - and it's as illegal as anywhere else.
>
> But is it not anywhere else. It is not intended to signify potential
> objects but real, existing ones.
>
> If you mean you have to label every other illegal rubbish dump as
> illegal, then yes. :-) The proposal does not intend to advise of
> recording every illegal objects
> around but make it _possible_ to label them _if_ someone intends to
> map them.

Do we really need all this information on a map? Is this something
which belongs in a separate place and can be displayed as an overlay?
Your need to make these tags is from your culture and not in mine, so
we don't see any benefit to the world-wide map.

Many things are "illegal" at the start
Soweto started as "illegal" dwelling places forming a slum and is now a
robust township - it is part of evolution of places outside Europe,
particularly in developing nations, and marking them "illegal" would be
culturally wrong.