[Tagging] Sidewalks vs Footways

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Mar 17 14:53:57 GMT 2011

On 17/03/2011 14:15, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> I'd like to suggest collapsing these two tags into a unified tag and
> making a final vote, and then fixing tags as necessary.

I'd be happy to use whichever tag has the wider acceptance.  All the
footway=left/right/both that I've added have been "sidewalks" in the
American sense, so if another name is chosen I'd be happy for mine to be
changed via a bot (once anyone consuming the data has had a chance to
incorporate the change of course).  Some of the values associated with
the footway tag in the UK probably need manual checking though (e.g.
field_edge).

Using "sidewalk" would have the advantage of not potentially being
further description of "highway=footway" (as in "highway=footway;
footway=field_edge").

Cheers,
Andy