[Tagging] Sidewalks vs Footways

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Mar 17 15:03:51 GMT 2011

Hi.
I'm from Germany, and therefore not argumenting with the English
language, but "footway" is a more general term as distinct ways for
people moving by foot are "footways", too.
Ways along or part of a street with main purpose of often motorized
vehicles - a indication for that is, that cars are located in the middle
and therefore with less crossings than pedestrians - should be
distinguished from standalone footways. Therefore I would prefer
"sidewalk" or "pavement".
Of these, sidewalk for me is more self explaining than pavement.
I'm good enough speaking English to know even the word pavement - but
that the way, where you walk along a street on one side is called
sidewalk is better to understand even if the vocabulary is not known in
particular.

Thus I would prefer (and I even used it in the past) sidewalk as a tag
for - well - sidewalks.

regards
Peter