[Tagging] Sidewalks vs Footways

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:48:22 GMT 2011

The point of having a separate way is to indicate that it is not
possible to cross from one to the other (if you see the sidewalk like
a lane), if you take the kerb as an barrier, mapping them separate
might have a certain sense (although a kerb is not a serious obstacle
for the biggest user group of the sidewalk:t pedestrians).

I wrote a proposal for the area-relation which tries to combine 2
aspects: the area aspect of a road, and the possibility to change from
one way to another without connecting node (the router would also
consider intersections of another "lane"/highway as valid).

We would draw the outer limits of the footway and interpolate the area
from there to the center or to the other side of the road. There would
not be mapped connections from this way to the centerline or to the
other side, but routers could understand that you can cross.

For the barriers there is also tags to map them (be it a wall, grass,
a kerb, or whatever).

Cheers,
Martin