[Tagging] Sidewalks vs Footways

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:46:30 GMT 2011

2011/3/17  <john at jfeldredge.com>:
> You also have the fact that it may be physically possible to cross from a sidewalk on one side of the street to the other, due to a lack of barriers, and yet be inadvisable to do so at certain points (in the middle of a blind curve, for instance, or on a road that has heavy traffic and lacks pedestrian crossing-signals).  In some cases, crossing may be possible at some times of day but not others.  Hopefully, there would be a way to tag this information for use by routers.

Curves can already be detected by routers (they are in the data),
pedestrian crossing (with and without traffic lights) should be mapped
explicitly (in the 1 road, 2 sidewalks model it would be a way from 1
sidewalk to the other). Realtime traffic information (time of day,
amount of traffic) is a general issue that one day we might be able to
solve, given enough real time data input.

cheers,
Martin