[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - parking (redux)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:41:25 GMT 2011

2011/3/18 Flaimo <flaimo at gmail.com>:
> since i wasn't the only one wondering on how to map individual parking
> spaces, i took the chance to write my first proposal. it's ready for
> comments and can be found here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/parking

While I agree that mapping singular parking spaces is a valid desire,
I don't agree with the proposed tagging. To avoid confusion (and for
simplicity) I'd encourage to use a new tag for single lots. It is
ridiculous to add capacity=1, and other subtags on every single
parking space inside a bigger parking area. Instead amenity=parking
would be used for the whole parking facility and another (new) tag
like parking=lot (or whatever english wording is suitable) would be
used to indicate single spaces.

cheers,
Martin