[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalk

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:24:55 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
> Serge,
> I think we're really talking about two proposals here, both of which
> have merit. The linked proposal has been around for a while, and
> involves tagging the road to indicate the presence of a sidewalk walk
> on one or both sides of the road. David refers to this proposal as
> "deprecated" [1].

He can claim that, but it's not depricated; the proposal is 3 years
old and wasn't ever voted on.

> What David proposed, and what I'm interested in, is mapping the
> sidewalk as a separate way from the road. This rough proposal is on
> his page here [2].

That's entirely separate.

I have views about that, but they're not relevant in this discussion.

> I think both schemes can coexist. In cities, especially ones with
> regular grids, the first scheme might be preferable for simplicity.
> However David's scheme has advantages when sidewalks don't have a
> constant offset from the road, and if there is a desire for precise
> navigation. In my area of suburbia, I plan to use David's scheme.

David should follow the tagging RFC process and make a proposal. I
don't want to overload one simple tag with something else.

> We should certainly link both together though, so users can determine
> what level of detail is appropriate.

I disagree. As mentioned in the Sidewalk tag, we already have
highway=footway, which is what David's proposal would largely change,
rather than an additional tag on roads. In other words, this is a tag
about roads, not footways.

- Serge