[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalk

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:47:39 GMT 2011

2011/3/21 David Paleino <dapal at debian.org>:
> To tag a sidewalk:
> highway=footway
> footway=sidewalk
>
>> I disagree. As mentioned in the Sidewalk tag, we already have
>> highway=footway, which is what David's proposal would largely change,
>
> Change? My proposal would not change footway's meaning, since, to define a
> sidewalk, you need to add "footway=sidewalk".

I agree with Serge: you would change the meaning of highway=footway
(because to interpret it right after your amendment, you would have to
look at the footway-key as well). Don't do it like this, rather use
highway=sidewalk or any other tagging that doesn't redefine well
established tags.

cheers,
Martin