[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalk

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:12:55 GMT 2011

2011/3/21 David Paleino <dapal at debian.org>:

>> I agree with Serge: you would change the meaning of highway=footway
>> (because to interpret it right after your amendment, you would have to
>> look at the footway-key as well).
>
> Why?
> Sidewalks are just a particular case of highway=footway. A router that doesn't
> know about footway=*, can treat the sidewalk just fine, because it is a
> footway, after all.

No. Serge's way does tell the router that the sidewalk is just a part
of the road, and that you can cross the road anytime. Your proposal
doesn't tell the router this, and it would have to check for the next
crossing and route you there and back if your target was just on the
other side of the road.

To not be misunderstood: I prefer explicit sidewalks (=separate ways)
as I wrote above. But you should not map them as if they were
independent ways.

Cheers,
Martin