[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalks as separate ways

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Thu Mar 24 20:15:08 GMT 2011

Hello everybody,
as promised, I came back with an "official" proposal.

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Sidewalk_as_separate_way

I tried to summarize what my ideas are, and why I don't believe that tagging
the main road is any good.

To summarize here: to tag a sidewalk:

 * highway=footway
 * footway=sidewalk

It's that simple.
The basic idea is that sidewalks *are* footways. From the highway=footway page:
"for designated footpaths, i.e. mainly/exclusively for pedestrians". And
sidewalks perfectly fit IMVHO :)

The proposal also lists cases for crossings and other features, but that's the
basic tagging.

Enjoy,
David

--