[Tagging] landuse:illegal and illegal:yes/no

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:18:25 BST 2011

On 3/29/2011 6:04 AM, Peter Gervai wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I would like to propose a few additions:
>> landuse=residential illegal=yes: residence of an illegal immigrant
>
> No, it would be houses built on someone else's land, or on area where
> it wasn't allowed.

So what happens in the case of a dispute, where two entities claim the
same land?

>> landuse=farm illegal=yes: marijuana farm in countries where such is illegal
>
> No, it would be a farm on a land where it wasn't allowed, some
> examples would be illegally cutting trees in the middle of a forest,
> or squatting a field somewhere. What you wanted to use is some
> non-existing subtagging on farmland, like "product=marijuana". Still,
> we usually do not keep databases on products and their attributes.

So if the land is zoned for a certain type of crop, but a mapper knows
the farmer also grows something else that's not allowed by the zoning,
would that be illegal=yes? Why would we deal with regulations applying
to specific pieces of land but not laws applying to all land?

>> amenity=bank illegal=yes: headquarters or branch of a bank that has engaged in illegal practices
>
> No, it would be a house which looks like a bank, and tries to hoax
> people to give their money but they are not. It attributes the object
> (house, area) not the business. I like this example because this is a
> real-life object which "looks like a bank but isn't", which clearly a
> pretty useful information for someone on the location.

religion=scientology illegal=yes for a scientology "church"?