[Tagging] landuse:illegal and illegal:yes/no

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Mar 29 14:29:59 BST 2011

On 3/29/11 8:09 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2
> In fact they should. I mean not necessarily for different plants, but
> for different adjacent crops. Mapping single crops is enhancing the
> map with detail about the topological layout of an area.
i'm of two minds on this.

farmers do occasionally shift the boundaries between different
crops, so like anything else on a map, this is subject to bit rot.

on the other hand, in a historical context, there is substantial
value in knowing (for example) what crops were planted in
which fields on the north and east sides of Sharpsburg Maryland
in mid September of 1862, and i plan to map that as part of my
Civil War/historical mapping project.

richard