[Tagging] Any support for a flow tag?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:34:44 BST 2011

On 3/31/2011 1:25 PM, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> On 3/31/11, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there would be any support for a
>> flow=forward/backward/etc. tag for waterways. This would make the flow
>> direction explicit, and would provide a machine-readable way to tag
>> unknown or abnormal flow.
> Nope.... it's actually just a rendering rule that can be created.
>
> If the direction of the way is drawn in the same flow of the water, it
> should always be drawn with an arrow.

That's a big if. Probably about half the waterways I've come across
where I knew the flow direction were mapped the other way.

As I mention, there's also the case where the mapper doesn't know the
direction of flow, or where flow is stagnant, reversing, or otherwise
abnormal.

As a similar example, see motorways and motorway_links. Even though
oneway=yes is implied, many mappers, myself included, will still add
that tag. There's also oneway=no to override the default.