[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Car access tag

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:29:44 BST 2011

On 5/6/2011 6:08 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Then you redefine "motorcar" to "The Map features’ Restriction section
> entry for motorcar is updated:
> Access permission for (motor) cars, including larger vehicles like
> trucks and busses. Also see car=*. See the access=* page for details."
>
> I am opposing the inclusion of busses and trucks in "motorcar", as I
> don't think that this is the common interpretation of this tag
> (whatever the wiki states about it).

Isn't motor_vehicle used for this? In my experience, the English term
'motor vehicle' does not include sub-motorcycle vehicles, such as
motorized bicycles. For example, Florida statutes define

MOTOR VEHICLE.—Any self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or
guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric
personal assistive mobility device, or moped.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.003.html

I guess the one difference between this and his change to motorcar is
that the latter doesn't include motorcycles. But in the rare case that
these are treated differently, one could use motor_vehicle=yes
motorcycle=no.