[Tagging] Tags for neighborhoods / subdivisions

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed May 11 11:08:00 BST 2011

On 11/05/2011 05:27, Josh Doe wrote:
> It's been about a month now, and I've gotten some feedback from the
> talk page. My thoughts are that we either:
>
> * reuse the existing place=suburb (as the wiki definition seems like
> it might work)
> * use the new place=neighbourhood
>
> Either way I think we need to allow for admin_level or something
> similar to permit nesting of neighborhoods. Any more feedback is
> appreciated, particularly in regards to this latter point regarding
> nesting.
>
> -Josh

I would recommend maintaining clarity as to whether an admin_level is
*    official (as opposed to informal)
*    strictly hierarchical (as opposed to geographic/topographic areas)

For example, "London" in an informal sense will probably not correspond
to the area governed by the "Greater London Authority" and will overlap
with other local government areas. With "neighbourhoods" and "suburbs"
which are frequently "informally" defined, the admin_level does not
imply a particular position in a particular hierarchy, but would simply
be a way of selecting boundaries of a given type. In this case the
actual value doesn't matter so much, as long as it is unique. In the
strict hierarchy of local government, the value does matter as an area
of admin_level N will be contained within an area of admin_level (N-1).
Of course there can also be parallel hierarchies, like police force
areas and their districts and subdistricts, or postal systems with major
towns, distribution points and individual postcodes (in the UK these
frequently span national borders!).

Colin