[Tagging] Requirements for proposals and voting to be valid

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 14:22:30 BST 2011

Am 11.05.2011 15:04, schrieb Richard Mann:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
>> The wiki should be a place to document the various parts of OSM, and for
>> things like software it can be useful. For tags, however, it is getting
>> steadily more and more complex and confusing and less and less
beneficial.

> I think we need to set a wiki principle: it should be descriptive. If
> there are different views then we should describe them, with an
> objective indication of relative popularity. Deleting someone's views
> because you disagree is vandalism.

+1

>> I would suggest to the wiki fiddlers out there dreaming up their latest
>> proposal: each actual use of the new tags you propose entitles you to
>> write one word in the proposal. I know this may sound odd to some: i.e
>> use a tag *before* the proposal is written, but that will make your
>> proposal grounded in reality not the pie-in-the-sky rubbish we
>> sometimes, and increasingly often, see.

You can make a proposal, leave it in proposal state and just start
tagging, without any vote.

If it is a good proposal other users will use it and it will get
accepted without any vote.

The big advantage is that the discussion can be longer than just a few
weeks, with possibility to still change the proposal and you will get
examples to demonstrate and maybe also find some problems.

cu fly