[Tagging] Tags for neighborhoods / subdivisions

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 18:28:53 BST 2011

On 5/11/2011 12:49 PM, Josh Doe wrote:
 > But sometimes they are formal, either at the governmental level or
 > semi-governmental level (think HOA that has legal rights to enforce.

It's kind of different in that the restrictions apply only to residents
and their guests, not to people passing through on public roads. The
average person won't care that they're leaving the area covered by "Sky
Lake South Homeowner's Association, Inc." and entering the area covered
by "Homeowners Association of Sky Lake South Units Six and Seven, Inc."
(real example here).

> Burke (a CDP, no government, but the "city" used for mailing
> addresses, a place=locality and admin_level=8)
 >
> As for whether to use admin_level or some other *_level key, I think
> there shouldn't be a problem to use/abuse the former. For my area,
> Burke has an admin_level=8. Burke is a census- designated place
> (determined by the United States Census Bureau largely for statistical
> purposes), and an unincorporated community recognized by the United
> States Postal Service for mail delivery purposes. However we have no
> local government. Burke Centre is also a CDP, and while it is not
> recognized by the USPS, it along with Martins Landing are shown on
> county maps. Therefore I feel that admin_level=* should be applicable
> at least in my case.

I disagree with using admin_level for CDP boundaries (or keeping them at
all), unless they are actually used for other purposes. They certainly
don't match USPS city names in general. In general they are just
arbitrary lines drawn by the Census Bureau.