[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - area:highway

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu May 12 09:50:37 BST 2011

Sorry for my previous unfinished mail, I didn't want to send it.

To summarize what I intended to say:

* I assume that most road shapes are adequately described with just a
single outline area for the entire road, and no one has provided a
counter example yet.

* If everyone mapped road parts as separate areas, it would actually
make it *easier* for me to support them in my application. But it seems
like an excessive amount of effort for mappers.

* For some applications, it will be necessary to reconstruct the entire
road from the various separate ways, and I assume that an area around
the entire road could reduce the amount of guessing involved. Of course,
that's not the purpose the area:highway key was originally invented for.

-- Tobias Knerr