[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - area:highway

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Thu May 12 21:27:25 BST 2011

Am 12.05.2011 um 19:03 schrieb Tobias Knerr:

> Stefan Bethke wrote:
>> Am 12.05.2011 um 10:50 schrieb Tobias Knerr:
>>> * I assume that most road shapes are adequately described with just a
>>> single outline area for the entire road, and no one has provided a
>>> counter example yet.
>>
>> Ever been to any city?  Should I post photos just looking out the window here?  What examples to you need?  What is this assumption of yours based on?
>
> I wondered how I could implement this, and drafted a possible solution:
> http://tobias-knerr.de/temp/Road%20area%20draft.pdf
>
> Then I tried to imagine situations that wouldn't work well with that
> solution, only found ones that I considered rare, and most of these were
> only of minor interest to me anyway. That was how I arrived at that
> assumption.
>
> Therefore, what I'm still hoping for are practical examples along the
> lines of "the following situation is relatively common in [Someplace],
> you cannot describe it without separate areas for sidewalks, and it's
> important for applications to understand that situation because ...".

Others have already described issues with tagging things like you propose, I'd like to add one concrete intersection that I feel is missing a lot of detail, quite a bit significant to (potential) routers and renderers:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.569837&lon=10.027266&zoom=18&layers=M
For comparison: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=53.569829,10.026878&spn=0.0015,0.003468&t=h&z=19 (about two years old, a couple of details have changed since.)

As you can see, some attemps have been made to represent areas where pedestrians and bikes are allowed, but a lot of detail is (still) missing.

I don't see how your proposal would model for example the bus bay at the stop next to the Subway on Mundsburger Damm, and the adjoining parking spots, at least not easily.  Or the intersection of Mundsburger Damm, Uhlenhorster Weg, Heideweg, and Birkenau, just to the south west on Mundsburger Damm.  Drawing areas from aerial pics or from carefully selected waypoints seems straightforward to me, putting ways "just so" that the medians between the ways fall on the actual borders between the areas seems unnecessarily complicated, and would likely require significant support in the editor.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811