[Tagging] JOSM wiki Potlatch2 In consistences fishmonger vs. seafood

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:02:45 BST 2011

HI,

I'm now starting to work on the Potlach2 presets, listing what they are
called & comparing it to JOSM and the wiki...
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dHJxMG05Zmg2YS1LeFg2czRZOWZEU3c&hl=en

JOSM has
Shops > Food > Seafood
for shop=seafood

Potlatch2 has
Shopping > Fishmonger
for shop=fishmonger

The Wiki has
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dseafood
"A shop selling fish/seafood."

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/seafood_shop
 Comments

Alternative names during the discussion on the tagging mailinglist were:

   - shop <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shop>=fish - To be easily
   confused with pet shops selling pet fish or fast_food shops selling prepared
   fish
   - shop <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shop>=fishmonger - Being
   understood by communities where the English is close to british English,
   north american and non-native speakers had problems understanding or found
   it to sound outdated.

"Seafood" seems to be the term that is best understood (by the users of the
mailing list) to be a shop according to the definition of this proposal.

****
and also, 'fishmonger' does not have it's own wiki page.
Therefore, my recommendation is that Potlatch2 be changed to show 'seafood'
instead.
-
But of course, many wiki-trolls will disagree (with a 100 comment talking in
circles).... so i'll just leave it in my chart and highlight it in red.  The
Bug #6 is on my list.

Cheers,
Sam

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn