[Tagging] Residential gardens: deprecate leisure=garden, suggest alternative

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon May 23 13:17:43 BST 2011

On 23/05/2011 12:15, Andrew Chadwick (lists) wrote:
> I'm suggesting that we remove the language on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden which recommends
> leisure=garden for tagging private residential gardens. The talk page
> entry is at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:leisure%3Dgarden
> and I welcome your comments!
>
> This mini-proposal suggests A) removing the language from the first and
> second English-language paragraph describing residential gardens, and B)
> suggesting
>
>      landuse=residential
>      residential=garden
>
> as an alternative tagging scheme. My rationale for doing this:

I agree with all this for not using leisure=garden.

Though I think it would be simpler to just tag them as
residential=garden, without the landuse tag.
Usually you would have landuse=residential around the whole area, then
map individual gardens and houses etc within that.

No need to use two tags when one will say just as much.