[Tagging] RFC: highway=tidal_road

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:04:30 GMT 2011

> Yes, this would fit the proposed tag. As you can see from your picture
> not beeing aware about the tide situation can cost your life. IMHO
> this kind of road merits its own main highway tag, it would be too
> dangerous to rely on subtags, and it's overall characteristics are too
> different from a "normal road" (a road which doesn't get regularily
> flooded).

This is similar to a low water crossing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_water_crossing
I don't think we use any special highway=* tags for those, or for other
roads that may be dangerous at times (e.g. heavy snow, military proving
grounds). If someone ignores signs and physical conditions, it's not our
fault, and we shouldn't tag incorrectly to get routing software to
ignore these roads.