[Tagging] RFC: highway=tidal_road

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 02:13:18 GMT 2011

2011/11/25 Stephen Hope <slhope at gmail.com>:

> If we do want to separate them out, my suggestion is to use a single
> road type tag to indicate one of these special roads -
> highway=special_road (and maybe highway=special_path). Then extra
> tagging to differentiate them (special_type=ice_road/tidal/etc). This
> way we separate them out from the normal roads, if we think that's
> important, but don't create too many extra main tags.

That way you have to use 2 tags to get a meaning out of it, because if
you only know that it is a special road, but this could be tidal or a
ice road or a summer road or something else like 4wd only and all of
these are displayed the same, then this is not enough information for
navigation.

> And a renderer
> can treat these as a group for special display, without having to know
> about the specific road types.

On the other hand every new key is expensive for the standard
mapnik-osm2pgsql-setup, while another value for a well known key is
not, so from a rendering point of view (as long as you are interested
which kind of special road it is) it will be easier for many of us to
have another value for the main key.

cheers,
Martin