[Tagging] RFC: shop=pastry

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Nov 27 16:19:38 GMT 2011

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to propose shop=pastry. (Currently there are 13 of these
> according to taginfo)
>
> There is some recommendations for similar features
>
> 1.
> amenity=cafe
> cuisine=cake
>
> and
>
> 2.
> shop=confectionery
>
> I interpret the first as a place to sit and the second seems to be
> more suitable for candy and/or shops selling industrially produced
> sweets (at least that's the impression I get from the wiki), while
> shop=pastry would be intended for shops similar to shop=bakery, but
> specialized in sweet temptations.

Not what you asked, but it seems to me that a key problem is that the
set of valid tags effectively defines a taxonomy, and then imposes on
any user of the data the need to represent and use the taxonomy.  We
seem not to talk about this, but I think it's a significant issue and we
should.

In general, I think it makes sense to have a number of examples in mind
when making up tagging schemes.

Using subtags, rather than new top-level tags, means that data consumers
that don't know about the subtag still get more or less the right
answer, as opposed to "other".

So your option 1 seems reasonable, when it's a sit-down kind of place.
I might suggest cuisine=dessert.  There are a number of places around me
that are basically places to sit down and have a "plated dessert" and
coffee.  ("plated" means it is served on a plate with a knife and fork,
as opposed to sold in a box to be taken home.)   I am not aware of any
that sell cake only, and not other kinds of dessert.

Instead of shop=pastry, I would say shop=bakery bakery=pastry, because
then the bakery rules work, for data consumers that don't know/care
about pastry.  And, in the grand ontology we are avoiding building, a
pastry shop is generally a kind of bakery.