[Tagging] RFC: shop=pastry

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:48:03 GMT 2011

2011/11/28 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> On 11/28/11 03:21, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> Thing is, it doesn't help you if shop=bakery is rendered, when you are
>> looking for bread and find a pastry, while it wouldn't help you
>> neither if you looked for pastry and were led to a bakery, so
>> basically to make this subtagging work you will need 2 tags instead of
>> 1 to distinguish between a pastry and a bakery (in some countries this
>> might be the same place/shop, in here it usually isn't. I can imagine
>> having subtags for pastry but these would be e.g. icecream or
>> croissant).
>
> I don't know about other places but in Germany 95% of bakeries will sell you
> a croissant.

+1, and how many will sell you homemade icecream? I guess it's less
then 2%. There are significant cultural differences here. Around here
a bakery might also sell you some sweet stuff (but you got a higher
chance to be sold pizza slices), but a normal pastry will never offer
bread or bread rolls (otherwise it would be a bakery). Tagging
something "bakery" where no bread is made or sold seems wrong to me.

Have a look at these two representative pictures to see the difference:

bakery:
http://www.only-apartments.com/images/guide/big/110/Antico%20Forno%20Roscioli.jpg

pastry:
http://www.pasticceriaperotti.it/images/Pasticceria/pasticceria1.jpg