[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Turn Lanes

Kytömaa Lauri lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi
Thu Oct 6 09:59:40 BST 2011

>The tag lanes should be reserved for the straight
>forward lanes.

At a T-junction, the road ending there would then be
lanes=0, given that wording. Nice.

>As a result, we just add a node for a minor information and do not
>damage the existing highways.

There's bound to be, eventually, enormous amounts of data beside
the roads, from buildings and their entrances, to curved ditches, fences,
hedges and scrubs, just to name a few. I find it strange that roads
should somehow be frozen at the lengths of n>>2 block spanning ways.
What value does it add, to try to keep the roads from being split midblock?
Bus routes and parking restrictions already make it necessary to split at
most urban junctions, anyway, and longer rural roads have very few
turning lanes per distance.

--
Alv