[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - entrance=*

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Oct 12 23:31:02 BST 2011

Pieren wrote:
> It was not widely discussed but the proposal seems to be accepted as
> an improvement. But deprecating a tag is never easy in OSM. It needs a
> large consensus, a wide audience and time ...

The proposal is actually well designed in that regard. It doesn't
redefine any existing tags and could simply be used in parallel with
building=entrance while the "conversion" takes place. That "conversion"
doesn't inherently need to involve bots or anything else except manual
mapping. So I don't see a reason to oppose the proposal itself.

What makes this case interesting beyond the relatively trivial tagging
issue is that it raises the question whether we, as a community, are
able to revise earlier decisions.

To me it seems obvious that we need the ability to do so.
But it is also apparent that we have no working process - not even an
informal one - for handling data model changes.

Tobias