[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - entrance=*

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:14:17 BST 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM, John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Definitely.  I think it would be good, wherever possible, to stick to
>> the idea of the value of a tag "subclassing" the key, so that
>> building=* indicates what kind of building, and entrance=* indicates
>> what kind of entrance.

> If can't even tag *entrances* to a subway with this tag I see little
> use for it. Could either of you perhaps expand a bit  about what you
> mean.

The value of the "building" tag would always be a type of building,
such as building=house, building=apartment_block, building=shed, etc,
but never building=entrance, because "entrance" is not a kind of
building.

Likewise, the value of the "entrance" tag would always be a kind of
entrance, such as entrance=main, entrance=service, but never
entrance=subway, because subway is not a kind of entrance.

To show an entrance to a subway... depends on which country's English
you're using: for the American sense (underground light railway),
you'd outline the subway station, and mark one of the nodes of that
outline as being an entrance, with entrance=yes or entrance=main.  For
the UK sense of subway (underpass, for pedestrians to cross a busy
road by going under it in a tunnel) I guess you could mark the subway
with a way, and tag the nodes at each end of the way with
"entrance=yes", and tag the way itself to indicate that it is a
tunnel; but that seems implicit anyway.

__John