[Tagging] Key "location" (was "Feature Proposal - Voting - entrance=*")

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 12:03:37 BST 2011

2011/10/14 John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com>:
> I don't think the word "location" is very good, but then it wouldn't
> be the only tag key in use that seems a bit clumsy; I guess tagging is
> just far enough away from normal use of natural language words that
> we'll have to put up with that.

+1

> (I would have chosen the word "level"
> for this use, and that is not documented as being used, but is it
> worth trying to change to use it?)

well level is documented in the wiki since 2009
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:level and has already 18000
occurances in the db
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/level#values

> I think it makes sense to have one tag that indicates that something
> is underground, for any type of thing.  That means that software (e.g.
> renderers) can do a simple test for it, and that mappers only need to
> know one tag for it.  And I prefer "location=underground" over
> "underground=yes" because we could also use "location=overground", and
> thus still only have to do one check in software to know that
> something's not at ground level.

what does "underground" exactly mean? What is the definition for
"ground"-level in the case of a highly modified urban context? Is
"earth/soil" required, or can ground also be completely artificial?

cheers,
Martin