[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - (sceptic_tank)"

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sat Oct 22 22:44:36 BST 2011

Vincent Pottier <vpottier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 22/10/2011 21:30, John Sturdy a écrit :
> > I get the impression that "amenity" is something people use
> directly,
> > and that this should be "man_made=septic_tank" as it is a piece of
> > behind-the-scenes equipment.  What's connected to it might well be
> > "amenity

toilets", however.

> > __John
> >
> +1
>
> Le 22/10/2011 21:04, Reinier Battenberg a écrit :
> > You dont want
> > to fall into one, so mapping them seems like a good idea.
> So, realy it is not an amenity !

I agree that it would make more sense to classify septic tanks under man_made rather than under amenity.  It would also make sense to map the drain field location as well as the location of the septic tank, if such a location is known, to reduce the risk of subsequent excavations running into the drain field plumbing.  In the case of a septic system that has been in place for years, there may no longer be records, or visible evidence, of the exact location of the drain field.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com