[Tagging] A name for stony ground?

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Thu Sep 1 20:01:37 BST 2011

Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at ...> writes:

> On 08/31/2011 10:50 AM, Johan Jönsson wrote:
> > A name to use for tagging stony ground.
> > I am looking for a denomination to use for an area that have little or no
> > vegetation so that the stony ground shows. Could there be a tag describing
> > everything from coarse gravel, boulders, scree to exposed bedrock.
> There are well established land cover types used by various government 
> data sources:
> I suggest OSM adopt one.
I agree, let us use terms from people who already have thought about this.
(Many of the land cover-definition is made for interpreting remote sensing dat

I have looked at a european remote sensing land cover defintion by "European
Topic Centre on Land Use and Spatial Information" used in CORINNE, they use
bare_rock foreverything that behaves like that when rmeote sensing, including
all kinds of rocks even scree only discouraging fine white sand.

I have also looked at the UN-organization FAO that reasons about a scheme for
tagging land cover, they  write that "bare areas" should be tagged specific and
more detailed mapping should use the nature of the surface, if it is
consilidated or not. I guess they suggest differentiating between areas of loose
rocks and those of firm rock. Somewhere I have seen that they call unfragmented
rocks: bare rock and the fragmented rock: Gravel/Stones/Boulders

Another source I looked at is the Orienteering association, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IOFmapping#Rock_and_boulders, they use
bare_rock for the solid surface and boulder_field/stony_ground for the
fragmented surfaces.

According to the thesis
USGS only make a difference between "Sandy areas other than beaches" and "bare
exposed rock". I guess that stony ground is included in bare exposed rock.
hmm, but on the web
I see that among the "barren areas" they have a general term for "Bare

To conclude, if there is a general term for both solid and fragmented areas of
rock I think it is bare_rock but it do seem easy to interpret it as only
defining solid rock.

More information about the Tagging mailing list