[Tagging] A name for stony ground?

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Fri Sep 2 18:41:02 BST 2011

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at ...> writes:

> 2011/9/1 Johan Jönsson <johan.j <at> goteborg.cc>:
>
> > I have also looked at the UN-organization FAO that reasons about a scheme for
> > tagging land cover...
> > http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X0596E/x0596e01f.htm
>

> It's indeed interesting how they do landcover, they work in 2 phases.
> In the first phase they use 3 simple steps to differentiate.
>
> 1. "Primarily vegetated=yes/no" and a criterion for vegetated with at
> least 4% vegetation cover for at least 2 months of the year.
>
> this results in 2 classes, each of which is analyzed in a second step:
>
> 2. "Edaphic Condition=terrestrial/aquatic or regularly flooded"
> aquatic includes marshes, swamps, bogs and all areas where water is
> present for a substantial period regularly every year.
>
> the 4 resulting classes are then divided by their
>
> 3. "artificiality of cover" in "Artificial/managed" and in "(Semi-)natural"
>
> Those classes are then further refined in the second phase, when more
> detailed landcover and environmental attributes like climate, erosion,
> landform are added.
>
> A scheme is here:
> http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X0596E/X0596e10.gif
>
> cheers,
> Martin

It is an ambitious project and it would be nice if we could try to do something
similar.

By there scheme bare_rock goes like this:
Vegetation=no
Wetland=no
man_made_cover=no

Further differentiating could be done based on the surface structure, something
in the line of fragmented=yes/no

/Johan Jönsson